The following information describes evidence obtained thus far in the GBI investigation.  This investigation remains active & ongoing.

It has been determined that Schultz made the 911 call to Georgia Tech Police alerting them of a suspicious person on campus. In the call Schultz describes the person as a white male, with long blonde hair, white t-shirt & blue jeans who is possibly intoxicated, holding a knife and possibly armed with a gun on his hip.

A total of 3 suicide notes were located in Schultz’s dormitory room.

One multi-purpose tool that contained a knife was recovered from the scene.

No firearms were recovered from the scene.

September 17, 2017

Atlanta, Georgia –On September 17, 2017, at approximately 12:00 a.m., the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) was requested by the Georgia Tech Police Department (GTPD) to investigate an officer involved shooting that resulted in the death of Scott Schultz, age 21.  The incident occurred at 532 Eighth Street N.W. Atlanta, Georgia outside of a Georgia Tech dormitory. 

Preliminary information indicates that GTPD received a 911 call of a person with a knife and a gun at approximately 11:17 p.m. on Saturday, September 16, 2017.  Officers arrived and made contact with Schultz who was armed with a knife.  Officers provided multiple verbal commands and attempted to speak with Schultz who was not cooperative and would not comply with the officers’ commands.  Schultz continued to advance on the officers with the knife.  Subsequently, one officer fired striking Schultz.  Schultz was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital where he died.  The GBI Medical Examiner’s Office in Decatur will conduct the autopsy.    

No officers were injured during this incident.

The GBI will continue its independent investigation to determine what occurred during the incident.  When the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the Fulton County District Attorney's Office for review.

Nelly Miles - Public Affairs Director | Decatur | 404/270-8330