The Blue Alert, established by legislation in 2010, is an emergency alert issued by local law enforcement to speed the apprehension of violent criminals who kill or seriously injure law enforcement officers and to aid in the location of missing law enforcement officers.
- The suspect has not been apprehended and may be of serious threat to the public.
- Sufficient information is available to disseminate to the public that could assist in locating the suspect.
- If the criminal has been identified, arrest warrants have been obtained.
- The criminal is entered into National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database.
- The law enforcement agency must issue a statewide broadcast to law enforcement/911 centers.
- Regarding a law enforcement officer missing in the line of duty, sufficient information is available to disseminate to the public that could assist in locating the missing peace officer.