Arrests Made in Stolen Vehicle Ring
POLK COUNTY - As result of a lengthy investigation by the Northwest Georgia Criminal Enterprise Task Force (NGCETF) into a stolen vehicle ring, task force members, assisted by local, state and federal agencies, made eight arrests this morning in Polk and Floyd Counties.
Those arrested and the charges are as follows:
- Mark Sparks - Violation of Oath of Office, Obstruction, Theft by Receiving (motor vehicle). Until his arrest this morning, Sparks was a police officer with the Polk County Police Department.
- Marvin Cheatwood - Theft by Receiving Stolen Property (motor vehicle)
- Michael Robinson - charged by agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms with Federal weapons violations. Robinson is a former deputy with the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
- Bradley Miller - 2 counts of Theft by Receiving Stolen Property (motor vehicle), Altering a Vehicle Identification Number.
- John Summerville, Sr. - 2 counts of sale and distribution of a schedule 2 drug, Operating a Chop Shop, Theft by Receiving (motor vehicle) and Forgery in the second degree.
- Margie Fields - Altering a Vehicle Identification Number, Operating a Chop Shop.
- Alan Camp - Altering a Vehicle Identification Number, Operating a Chop Shop.
- Kenneth Gravett - Insurance Fraud. Gravett is a former deputy with the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
For over a year, the NGCETF, which is led by the FBI, has been investigating a criminal enterprise based in Polk County, Georgia, involved in the trafficking of stolen vehicles and altering Vehicle Identification Numbers in order to resell stolen vehicles for large profits. The criminal enterprise has also been aided by current and former law enforcement officials who have been arrested as well. These former law enforcement officers have participated in the criminal activities and have provided law enforcement sensitive information to individuals involved in the criminal enterprise. The investigation culminated this morning with the execution of numerous search warrants and arrest warrants issued by the Polk County Superior Court and through the United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia. The investigation is still ongoing with additional charges possible.
The NGCETF, which is led by the FBI, includes officials from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), Polk County Police Department, Polk County Sheriff's Office, Bartow County Sheriff's Office, Cartersville Police Department, and Floyd County Sheriff's Office.
In addition to the NGCETF participating agencies, this morning's operation included the Georgia State Patrol, the Bartow-Cartersville Drug Task Force, the United States Secret Service, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, the National Insurance Crime Bureau, Cherokee County Multi-Agency Narcotics Squad, the Calhoun Police Department, the Haralson-Paulding Drug Task Force and the Haralson County Fire Investigations Unit.
# # # # #